Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Summer Storm

Why, when it rains, do we sit and listen?  Why do we put everything on hold and just watch as it comes pouring from the sky?  What brings us to a standstill?  What is so moving about the crash of thunder and the smell of the wet dust in the air?

Rain doesn't just bring moisture to the earth; it brings memories to our hearts and minds.  Rain washes away all thoughts and cares from our busy lives.  Rain leaves us feeling most vulnerable, brings out all heartache, but gives us the most beautiful reminder of the past and thought of the future.  It's in the middle of a summer storm that we think of what we hold most dear.

I've heard rain called "tears from heaven".  I don't believe it.  I believe rain is made of memories.  As the lightning strikes and the raindrops fall we think about past rainstorms.  We think about that first kiss in the rain, puddle jumping when we were young, running around like children.  We may be reminded of another particular rainstorm from years past.

No matter what it reminds you of specifically, a rainstorm will always stir memories.  I love rain.  I love sitting on the balcony thinking about past, present, and future.  I ponder life - where it has led, and where it will go from here.  I think about love - how I've lived in the past so alone, and how I know I'll never be alone again because I've found true love.  I think about how I can cultivate that love and do little things to make it grow.  I write love letters.  I put together ideas of little gifts I want to send to him.  I think about our future family and about the adventures we will take together.  I think about all the little things I'll do to make sure my family stays together, of all the things I'll do to show my children how much they are loved.

Rain - memories are brought to your mind, you ponder life and love, and you continue to think about the future.  I love rain.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I love you! Keep blogging :) Let me know if you need anything thing. I miss ya!

    ReplyDelete