Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Christmas Phone Call

My missionary, Elder Jonathan Telford, got to call home using Skype on Christmas Day!

Christmas Eve I spoke with my parents, telling them that I was planning to go when he called and that I needed to be from Salt Lake City to Springville at 10:30 am.  My parents were very supportive of me, so they allowed us to wake up at 6:45 Christmas morning to open presents, have breakfast, and enjoy our time together as a family.

Oh Christmas morning was amazing!  I got some fantastic gifts - some expected, some complete surprises!  We sat around the Christmas tree next to the fire's glow.  We made a lovely wrapping paper mess and enjoyed each other's company as well as watching each face light up with pure delight at our Christmas surprises.

When the opening was finished we sat down together for a traditional delicious Christmas breakfast.  We had homemade waffles, sausage, and eggnog.  (It may not be the most healthy, but we can get away with it once a year!)  Over breakfast we laughed and talked and laughed some more.  After eating I hopped in to take a quick shower, fix my hair and make up, load up my car with grand presents I received and booked it down I-15 south to Springville.  Though I didn't need to be there before 10:30, I rushed and made it by 10:15 easily!

There the Telford family waited for the call.  As one of ten children, it was a blast to see everyone gather there to open presents together.  Under the tree there were dozens of gifts (some even had MY name on it!) to pass out once everyone had arrived.  As we were waiting for Jonathan to call and the rest of the family to arrive, Jonathan's sister Lara called on Skype so her family could join in the fun also.  It was a lot of fun getting to talk to her and the rest of her family, but I was getting anxious.

About 10:45 the rest of the Telford clan that lives nearby arrived and we all traipsed upstairs to unveil Hannah's Christmas present.  Her siblings had painted her bedroom, added some shelves, and a bit of other decor.  Holy cow it was so incredibly sweet of the family; Hannah really deserved this beautiful gift.  Then we proceeded downstairs once again to gather around the tree.

We passed out gifts, everyone got to open something.  I was so blessed to be thought of by pretty much each member of the family.  I truly am so grateful to have their love and support and I love to call them family of my own.

Finally the moment came - Jonathan called us on Skype around 11:15 or so and we got to see and hear him!  I could hardly contain my excitement and I sat up next to the computer for the entire hour just watching him and listening to his voice.  Boy, I miss him!  Hannah pulled out a Christmas present to me from him and I got to see his expression when I unwrapped it.  Out of the box fell a sweatshirt that I've had my eye on for months!  He knew the perfect gift and I am soooo grateful that he's been so amazing and watchful.

We continued talking about his missionary experiences so far in Colorado.  His parents both sat with me and the four of us had a great conversation.  I almost feel guilty for hogging him so much, particularly since in the mission rules they're only supposed to call family ... but I will be family someday... :)

When it finally came time to say goodbye it was bittersweet for me and tears clouded my vision, but did not fall.  He hung up and his brother sort of squeezed my shoulder to say, "We're all here for you."  His sisters gave me hugs, and I just felt so loved.

I'm so grateful to have found not just an amazing man, but also an amazing family.  They're all so supportive of his mission, and of me as I support him as well.  I love the Telford family and I can't wait to officially become part of it.

2 comments:

  1. You're such a lucky gal! Your "other" family loves you so much. Almost as much as this one. Hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute. You have so much support :) I'm glad you got to talk to him! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete