Thursday, June 30, 2011

Workaholic

This week I've been working like crazy!  I got almost 45 hours of work at Jamba Juice, and about 15 hours at maurices.  That's almost 60 hours.  The other day I picked up another employees shift at Jamba - giving me a 12-hour day there.

My good friend Taylor Dugger keeps asking when we're going to be able to get together for lunch or a movie night and due to work I keep blowing her off.  She's called me a workaholic on more than one occasion.



I tell myself that I work so much so that I can start building up my savings account.  It would be worth all the work if I were seeing some of my money go into my savings account, but I've had some expenses lately that have drawn a lot from my account.  I've needed to build my wardrobe for work at maurices.  Before I started working there I didn't have a lot of cute clothes, and I've needed to wear cute things to work - "wear what you sell."  Even with my amazing employee discount I'm still spending more than I should.

The other day my phone keeled over, so I had to buy a new one.  I was torn between two models - The HTC freestyle ($100) and another model (I can't remember the name, but it was $40).  I went with the HTC.  It's a sweet phone, but it did cost a pretty penny!  This week I have rent to pay.  I have a gym membership to pay (which, due to my heavy workload I haven't been able to use a whole lot since I started my second job!).  And soon my friends and I are planning a trip to Disneyland which I've got to pay for.  We're getting a steal of a deal splitting the costs, but it's still a chunk of change!

So what is the real reason I work so much if it's costing me almost as much as I earn? 

I do enjoy my work!  I like the fact that I'm not at my apartment sitting around doing nothing.  I'm out and about.  I'm "socializing" at work.  While I'm outside of the apartment I can talk and get to know more people - even if it's not quite the same as hanging out with people, it's still an opportunity to be out and talking to co-workers and customers.

I also enjoy that I'm not constantly eating while I'm at work.  At Jamba sure I get my free shift meal (which I could usually go without, but it's free, so why not take it?) but I'm not constantly grazing on whatever snacks seem to be lying around.  I drink more water because I'm talking and my mouth gets dry.

I'm moving around!  Although it's not a replacement for the gym, it's a little extra movement which burns a few extra calories.

Work is just so good for me, I'm glad I have it!  I wish I had a little more time to spend with friends, but I'm not usually hanging out during the day with anyone, so I'm glad to be doing what I'm doing.

Today I had an entirely work-free day!  No Jamba, no maurices so I'm took time to visit Temple Square and do baptisms for the dead at the Salt Lake Temple.  I went with my oldest sister, Brittany, who I haven't been able to bond with in years, so this was a good "sisters" day for us. 

Work is good, but having a day off occasionally is even better.

1 comment:

  1. It was a good time! I love that I got to spend time with my "baby sister." Who knew she'd outgrow me.

    ReplyDelete